Summer is quickly coming to a close.
Personally, I’m not a huge fan of summer. The heat usually has me wishing for all things winter. But, I do love some of the quintessential traditions that summertime carries with it! BBQs and tanned skin to name a couple. I am also a fan of watermelons (the only melon I actully like). To me there is nothing more refreshing than mixing watermelon into a salad. But, have you grilled a watermelon before? I know, it goes against everything a watermelon is (92% water), kinda like deep fried ice cream…. just one of those things that just doesn’t make a lot of sense, but turns out delicious!
Before summer closes on those delicious watermelons, go grab one and grill it up! You will be pleased!
Grilled Watermelon Salad
* 1 whole mini watermelon
* 4 ounces feta cheese, cubed
* Two limes or lemons juiced
* 1 cup thinly slices fresh basil
* Freshly ground black pepper to taste
* Balsamic reduction for drizzling, (I use Fini Modena)
1. Cut the watermelon into 1 inch thick slabs leaving rind on and brush lightly with olive oil
2. Place the slabs of watermelon onto a heated grill and grill for approximately 2-3 minutes per side or until marked
3. Remove watermelon slabs from grill, cut off the rind, then cut watermelon into 1 inch cubes and place in colander to drain for 20 mins
4. Toss the drained cubes of watermelon with the basil, pepper, and lime juice.
5. Before serving, Gently fold cubed feta into salad.
6. Drizzle salad with the balsamic reduction.